So, the news is that I managed to install DSpace (1.6.2) on a RHEL 5 box.
Well, to admit, it was not smooth. However the following did helped me:
I got struck at two places. First it was problem with 'xml-commons-apis'. It was missing. When I installed it by
'yum install xml-commons-apis', Yum automatically removed Sun Java. I had to re-install Sun Java. Second time I got struck with 'ant fresh_install'. The problem was with
The server was not able to download GeoLiteCity.dat.qz file. I had to cheat 'ant fresh_install' by downloading the file from alternative location and placing it on my server and then tweaking the installation script.
Now finally the DSpace 1.6.2 is working for me. But, I have yet started.